Monday, September 23, 2013

Hiking

 
One of our favorite things about our new neighborhood is it's proximity to a lot of hiking trails and parks.  Despite being a relatively quick commute to downtown Minneapolis (and being able to see the skyline in the distance down the hill) our area is also very secluded and wooded.  This weekend we were blessed with the most beautiful fall weather.  We took advantage and headed out for morning hikes both days.  On Saturday we traveled about a mile from our house to Murphy Hanrehan Park and went hiking with both kids in carriers.  There were lots of hills and narrow rocky paths so it wasn't very conducive to Jace walking around on his own, thankfully he still enjoys riding in our hiking backpack.  At the end of our hike the trail opened up to fields and Jace was able to get out and run around ahead of us.  He is definitely an outdoorsy kid, and loves exploring nature right along with us. 
 
One thing I am starting to realize as time goes by is the type of parent I am, and how I want my kids to be raised.  I think that these **little** moments in time doing things simply and disconnecting from the rest of the world are so important, and so important for kids to experience as well.  Jace is so calm when he's tagging along participating in something as simple as a hike in the woods.  He asks questions, and examines things much closer than our 30-year old selves do, which causes us to examine them more closely as well.  He learns from us, and we learn from him. Sometimes I get too caught up in doing "kid-friendly" activities, that I forget that kids are learning the most and making the best memories just being able to experience new things with their parents and have healthy, active past times.   
 
 
The next morning we went a couple of miles further and tried Cleary Lake Regional Park.  It was much more manicured and had paved walking paths around the lake, perfect for jogging strollers, bikes and roller blades.  We loved that although it was very peaceful and secluded, we still saw plenty of people out exercising and enjoying the great outdoors.  After living in South Carolina, we're just not used to seeing that.  No wonder Minnesota is one of the healthiest states despite all the cheese curds!  ;)
 
Fall is my favorite time of the year, and I'm so glad that this weekend marked the beginning of the best season in Minnesota.  I can't wait to see all of the leaves start changing over the next few weeks and spend a lot more time hiking and exploring all our new area has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment